Schools of Choice
The Waterford School District believes that parents should have the opportunity to provide educational opportunities for their student, including making the decision on which school or school district to attend. In Waterford, there are two different options:
- School Selection - for district residents
- Schools of Choice - for non-district residents
Non-Residents Schools of Choice
The District believes that offering choice to a broader community outside our traditional boundaries will enrich those students' lives and our District. Parents, who reside outside Waterford School District boundaries, may apply for a Kindergarten Schools of Choice transfer into the District if space is still available after all internal school selection applications have been considered.
Schools of Choice Guidelines
Schools of Choice Plan
The Waterford School District’s vision is to inspire, educate and empower our students for their future!
The Waterford School District supports the concept of Schools of Choice for parents/guardians and students. This provides the
opportunity for students to attend schools outside their school district of residence. The Waterford School District will make every
effort to communicate the options available to parents/guardians and students. At the same time, parents/guardians and students
can be assured that high educational expectations common standards, and quality will be found at any Waterford School District
Schools of Choice students may not have the choice of selecting the middle or high school that they attend. The school district will
make the selection at the appropriate time, based on space available in the middle and high schools. Parents may fill out a School of
Selection form to request a different building.
We are pleased that you are interested in the Waterford School District Schools of Choice Program. The following information will
further explain the process to have your son or daughter considered for acceptance.
Application Information and Criteria
Please read the following information and criteria from the Waterford School District Schools of Choice Program carefully.
- Applications are being accepted for Junior Kindergarten and Kindergarten only. .
- Students must be residents of Oakland County.
- All required immunizations must be completed and up to date.
- The Waterford School District is not responsible for providing transportation for nonresident students.
- If the need arises to change the boundaries of any school for the purpose of redistricting students, any Schools of Choice student involved, could be the first student asked to transfer to another school within the Waterford School District.
- Students are expected to arrive and depart from school on time. It is expected that parents will pick up students on time when they are attending an after school or evening event.
- Schools of Choice students are subject to the same Attendance Guidelines as resident students.
- A fee based child care program in available in most schools. Please contact our Child Care Department for additional information at 248-738-4794.
- All Student Code of Conduct rules, procedures, and policies will apply to all students who enter the Waterford School District under the Schools of Choice guidelines and procedures.
- Falsification of requested information may disqualify applicant from being considered for admission.
- You will be notified no later than 15 calendar days at the end of the application period whether or not your application has been accepted under Schools of Choice Section 105. When you receive notice that your application has been accepted, if you have not completed the Enrollment process you will need to do so and provide the required documentation to Central Enrollment to complete your child’s enrollment.
- Enrollment in the District needs to be completed within two weeks of receiving an acceptance letter. If enrollment is not completed within the two week time period, space for your child may be forfeited. Once accepted, students may remain in the District until graduation providing the student is continuously enrolled and is not expelled.